Friday, June 14, 2013

The Gentlest Gentleman


The Gentlest Gentleman*

When I lift your hand to meet my lips
It’s a reflex to your smile
We stroll outside with our arms linked
You might feel my heart’s hospitality
Welcome home

No need for a knight in shining armor
Descendin’ from a high horse
Please have me, a boi with a dirty apron
Preparin’ your favorite side of comfort

When I ask permission to touch your face
It’s a desire to know you whole
We let our fingers saunter, sway in our breath
I might feel your spirit’s revival
Testify, amen

Leave behind the poor ol’ damsel
Her distress as stale as her rescue
Pick me, far afield, the shape of a dandy-lion
Spoilin’ this dry tale with a loud, lurid roar

Here are pretty words for the prettiest girl
When plain words just won’t do:

I want to be your gentlest gentleman
With my first rule of tenderness
There is no show, no passed time
Because of a secret, you should know

‘Course, I’m polite as I was raised
Respect curdles in my blood
But I’ve been hurt—heartbrok’n hard
And I just want a little kindness
So that with this gamble, I’ll deal the right card


*This title is from My Brightest Diamond’s song of the same name, on the album, A Thousand Shark’s Teeth. 

This poem is dedicated to a very special woman in my life--Alicia Virani.

No comments:

Post a Comment